January 13, 2024

Workbench upgraded: reorganisation of everything.

November : 
My workbench was becoming over crowded again and I needed to reorganise it. The back wall needed a larger area, so I combined two boards to increase the width. I then started adding shelves, utilising ones I already had. Using the items I had, I could space them better.
Unfortunately my garage door is an up and over, which limits how far shelves can go, due to the arc the door takes

I ordered some LEDs strip, but they aren’t bright enough to light the bench surface. But are ok just to illuminate the shelf’s. So another light source is needed. I did 3D print some brackets for the LEDs to fix too.
The bench was in transition when photo was taken lol. An unexpected project to service an Ender3 3D printer for a friend who was selling it as he’s upgrading. Swapped out the hot end for a new one, cleaned and dusted, checked belts and greased the lead screw (December 2023).

I started sorting out my boxes of screws, bolts, bits and pieces, electronics etc.
The magnifying LED light unit had to be removed from the bench, this is going to be relocated up off the bench.

The main problem with the bench was the lower shelf, in that the chair wouldn’t fit under it, which meant it stuck out and took up space. So using my angle grinder, I cut away a length of the angle before using my jigsaw to remove the wood, so it would fit under.

This makes it more comfortable to work at it. I refitted the small shelf and also added one below, this is now for the main storage (screws, bolts) boxes.

The second vice, I’m not sure about at the moment, using it to support the extra surface board is handy but also restrictive. So I’m thinking of rebuilding a soldering station in that area. The vice was simple enough to remove, so a soldering station idea is a future project.

No comments:

Post a Comment