October 21, 2019

Littlebits - Star Wars Droid Inventor Kit - pt 7 (2019)

Last week my youngest daughter got out the Littlebits R2-D2. She had been doing some work in school and it re-ignited her imagination with electronics.
Littlebits R2-D2

So back in work I re-opened the 3D files I had drawn up for the R5-D4 dome and got back on tinkering with the final design from earlier this year. Click here for part 6.

With our new works 3D printer and my new design, I had more confidence that this would print/work second time around.
R5-D4, R5-D4 3D print, 3D printing
With the print time at just over 12 hours, and all the settings set to standard, due to my limited knowledge of them lol.
R5-D4, R5-D4 3D print, 3D printing

R5-D4, R5-D4 3D print, 3D printing
This picture shows the support structure.

Once happy with everything, I set the print to start just before I left work.
3D printing, Instagram, R5-D4, R5-D4 3D print

With my fingers crossed for a successful print come the morning......


*
* * 
* * *
* * * *
* * * * *

.......The morning came and YES, success! I've not felt this good about a 3D print in a long time lol, especially after the previous dome print fail. Here's the pictures before removing from the print bed.
R5-D4 3D printing scaled dome

R5-D4 3D printing scaled dome
The print quality is fantastic! Even when removing the supports, the finish is still great.
I just need to finish removing all the support material and see how well the 'lid' fits the dome.

Once everything is sorted, I'll post up this print on my Thingiverse account.

I'll post up more next week.......

No comments:

Post a Comment