December 31, 2020

R4-D4 dome lid modification - part 1

 I know, I know, I’ve not finished the last two mini projects lol, but it helps me be busy whilst awaiting components.

 Been thinking about fitting the Life-form scanner into R4’s dome, as he doesn’t have any special features.

This tho requires that the lid needs an opening hatch/panel. Firstly I was thinking about making a new lid, either out of wood again or 3D printing one, but apart from being time consuming, I just wanted to get it done. Lol :D

So I’ve roughly marked the underside of the lid to check clearance and it looks like it would fit.

R4-D4 dome lid

Next up is to cut out the red panel.

Not having a dremel anymore, I decided to utilise the drill with the old dremel attachment. This worked out ok lol. It cut through at an angle which actually might help with stopping the new lid from dropping down to far.
R4-D4 lid, opening

Pleased with how it came out. May need to reinforce the underside, but that’s just for my piece of mind. I applied some watered down PVA glue to soak into the cut edges. But they didn’t need much as the top already had a wash before it was painted years ago. So, on to the next stage, hinges.

No comments:

Post a Comment