August 04, 2020

Workbench lockdown 2020 - new paint & finished seat

I found a small leftover tin of  black Hammerite paint.

After cleaning off dirt and chipped paint, I started with painting the vice.....and then the visible parts of the metal bench framework. There’s still some parts I need to paint, but so far it’s looking good.

The seat needed modifying, the arm was just a few inches to short, so when sat on the seat my long legs would hit the bench. I found a extra piece of the steel angle and some flat plate. Had to buy a carbide tip drill bit to drill the holes through, then clamped the pieces together.

Next up I used some 18mm thick leftover wood stapled on some thick foam that I had for the dome bag projects. To cover it I used some of the material also used for the bags.
It’s not bad and is actually comfortable to sit on.
workbench seat

The extensions isn't great, but it's holding my weight lol, I'll probably look at upgrading in the future now I know the concept works.
workbench seat
Since this picture was taken, I've removed the yellow bearing, and replaced with a spacer/washer.

No comments:

Post a Comment