April 21, 2012

R5-D4 Body Skin 1.4 - Rear Hatch Section

Cut to length 1st up-right that will form part of the rear hatch. Next I marked up and using a jigsaw, cut out the two curved pieces that will form the rear door. Then used my rasp plane to smooth and shape. This is great for removing material.

Sanded & smoothed curves to size. Trimmed hatch curves & up-right (length shortened). Screwed all together. Fitted the hinges I'd bought earlier 99p (no screws with them). Used a magnet off a 'built-in' washing machine kitchen unit door, fixed to a piece of metal strip, screwed to rear hatch up-right. Then drilled a counter-sunk hole & using resin, stuck a washer in place. Before I measure up the skin for rear hatch, I need to look into the strength of the lower rear panel. Since cutting out the power coupler hole, the strength has been reduced & is also not keeping the curve as before. I may have to make a full length rear hatch.
Hinge 1 of 2
Washer for magnet door look
Washing machine door magnet
Rear Hatch
Rear Hatch

Rear Hatch

No comments:

Post a Comment