February 05, 2023

Treadwell WED-15 droid build : Part 11 - head & neck servos

 
Last post mentioned the neck servo idea. Designed up a new neck piece that would allow the servo to be centrally positioned. There is a bit now that sticks out the rear, but not by much and its not to obvious.

I used one of the servos that required a new replacement one. It fits into a slot and then it was secured underneath to a bridge section that was incorporated into the design. I was a bit worried that the weight of the head would be to much and/or unevenly balanced. But on testing…..it held up, literally lol.

Here's a link to my YouTube channel showing the head turning:

Next test was the eye lift servo. I knew it could hold the head without power, and with power it worked great! No issues with the weight of the eyes, not that there is much weight:

Cut out a piece of wood for the bottom of the base. Helped to give me an idea of the size.

After watching Paul6700's YouTube part 2 video, link, I downloaded his file from his Thingiverse page for the 'Mast Base'. I have ABS filament a co-worker purchased for a project, so will attempt to print the base soon.

Think I’ve sorted out the movement/pivot arm needed to lift the main ‘claw arm’. Just need to print off the new part. Tested its movement and it works. I just need to make a pivot servo horn.

I cut out the recess needed for the rear lens holder to be able to fit properly. I hadn’t taken this into account when I drew the unit.

I had taped the rear lens holder in place to mark the position to make the cut, and to then be able to test fit it into the eye unit.

Test fitting.

As part of the details, I drilled and fitted these hammer drive pins into the top and rear of the eyes.

Prepared and primer sprayed the upper parts of the mast. Glued the claw arm together and resanded it, before gluing on the other parts, hose clips etc.

The last mast pieces are being printed off this weekend, along with some other pieces for another project. Then I will fit them onto the PVC tubing and glue the mast parts together.

No comments:

Post a Comment