October 08, 2018

Littlebits - Star Wars Droid Inventor Kit - pt 5 (2018)

After a few more tweek's, I set up the .stl file for printing. I had originally planned on printing upside down with support, but then went with how I had started printing the first attempt last year. So, the right way up. To save time, I put it in 'fast' mode and 0.3 layer height. Fill at 30%.
Littlebits R5-D4 dome

It didn't take long to dawn on me that perhaps supports would of been a good idea lol, see above picture, but this was a one time print/test so not the end of the world and I can fix bits. At least you know to use supports! I think this may be down to the 0.3 layer height, fast speed & fill, as usually angle edges don't give me any problems.

Then came the 3 main eyes......
Littlebits R5-D4 dome
I had to get in there with the ruler to support the print until it had a few layers on it.

Whist this was printing, I had a few alterations so this .stl & the revised one will both go up on Thingiverse. The alterations include thickening of some of the walls at the bottom, enlarging the two side dome rods and moving them in side the recessed box a bit more, so they are supported. The internal dome roof area has been simplified, single angle face.

Then it was home time. I had to leave it running, and thoughts were that everything else should be ok.....

I came in Monday morning to this.....
Littlebits R5-D4 dome

Littlebits R5-D4 dome

Littlebits R5-D4 dome
No idea what went wrong here???

So I cut off this mess and when I get free time, I'll re-print just the top hat of the dome and glue it on lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment