April 04, 2012

R5-D4 Body Skin 1.0

After seeing an Astromech in the flesh, well, wood actually, I decided that this was something I could do myself. Then after surfing the net, I found R2 Units made from Styrene with same material skins and then I found ones made out of metal, with Aluminium Skins (that cover the body). And I thought, I want some of those for my R5.

Styrene is cheep, but...... I wanted Aluminium ones........ But as am working to a very tight budget, and the UK R2-D2 Builders Club skins are reasonably priced, I am going to attempt to build R5's skin out of wood. It's been done before, so it's not impossible to do.

So here's the start of making the skin.

Picture shows 3mm hardboard, clamped around R5's frame, not even cut to length
Inside view
Just strapped this sheet on to see how easy it will/won't be. Working out if I need to buy a longer sheet and cut out the rear door section or cut this sheet short??

No comments:

Post a Comment