February 11, 2022

Solo - a Star Wars story - Irradiator Illumination Bank 3D printing Part 1

This print project is massive. It will require me to slice up to be able to print on my printer(s) lol.

I drew this up last year in lockdown, as something to do. I saw it in the Solo a Star Wars story book. See above picture.


I thought that this could be used as a similar item that is used to charge Astromech's, like the ‘Fusion Furnace’.

January 2022
I had to slice up the parts into quarters for them to fit onto the Ultimaker S5’s printer bed. I did a few alterations to the above design. I also created a rear area that’s not seen. The design is based on what I could make out from the photo.

I started to print off the base parts last week. 8hrs per base 1/4 section, so this was an overnight as I’ve become impatient with long day printing lol, also they might need to actually use the printer….for work.

Here’s two quarters and half the upper front piece glued together. This piece was cut because it wouldn’t fit on the printer bed, height wise.

The following week I was a bit restricted for time due to work needing the printer, so I eventually got time to print of the last quarter and second upper section overnight.

The following lunchtime was sanding the edge faces and then gluing them together.
The evening was spent sanding the surface and smoothing the joins. Started adding wood filler.
Once stage one was complete, stage two was applying filler primer.

Applied filler to areas that needed it, once dried it will be sanded all over then re-sprayed with more filler primer.

More to follow……..

No comments:

Post a Comment