December 20, 2020

R0-D4 Dome update 2020 (part 1)

 This dome has been sat patiently on a shelf waiting for me to finish its dome ring I upgraded a few years ago. Original the ring was wood, but when having to upgrade the dome to the new rockler style bearing, I had to deconstruct the neck ring to be able to get the old bearing surface out.

R0-D4 dome on R5’s body, first of the dome alternatives
Check the link for the beginning of this building process here:

Building R0-D4’s wood dome.

On with the update 2020:

I had glued the 3D printed panels together, but then ‘welded’ them using a soldering iron and extra PLA filament. Melted plastic is a much stronger bond than super glue. Forward to 2020:

I smoothed over the not so perfect joins, before hitting it with filler primer.

R0-D4’s neck ring in orange filler primer

The neck ring is detachable so spraying is easy. A few coats of primer before spraying up red & white.

More updates soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment