April 08, 2019

Next project...... Dome Bag 1.1

(5.4.19)
Going to event's with two domes can be a bit tricky, and also my garage seems to attrack dust. So I came up with this idea to protect (from dust) and be able to carry a dome easily.

And the 'Dome Bag' idea was created.

I did have a plan....but this first attempt was basically a test/WIP as I will eventually need another bag for the other R4 dome. Oh and maybe another for my R0 dome, but that's still being upgraded, so no rush to take that to any events.

Step 1: The Base.
I wanted there to be a padded surface as the dome connect with the body and this edge could get damaged. Now, this wouldn't stop damage if the dome where to be dropped, but a slight knock or bump would be ok.

I drew around the base of the dome, with the intention of cutting an extra bit larger for the side foam padding to sit on.......but due to distractions & thinking two steps ahead.....I forgot. So the foam diameter is the same size as the dome's outer edge.....that it's supposed to protect.
Dome bag, R5D4

Next I drew around this foam base & cut out the material to cover it, like a cushion. The material is just a single fitted bed sheet, costing about £6. Remember, this is just to offer some protection from dust, the actual structural strength comes later on in this build.
Dome bag, R5-D4
I pinned and using the sowing machine, stitched the two panels together, inside out, then turned them the right way and squeezed the foam panel inside.

Step 2: The Side. The next step was the side protection. I measured a height that would protect the upper edge of R5's dome, above the holographic, engine turned tape panels.
The material's was cut long enough to wrap around the faom to hold it in place.
Dome bag, R5D4
The second smaller piece was used as a guide for the turned over piece of material. I almost messed up again, by not allowing extra material for the fold.

I did however, mess up on the actual height of the material needed to cover the side height of the dome and also the top section......more about that 'upgrade' later.
Dome bag, R5D4
Using my daughters sowing machine, and re-learning on the go, lol, I managed to stitch a half decent straight line along the edge of the panel. I didn't want it to be loose, allowing the padding to move, so I got this right and it fits nice and tight.

So far this is all going as planned.....hahahaha......

No comments:

Post a Comment