April 09, 2019

Next project...... Dome Bag 1.2

This is a work in progress, though it will be used as it is being built for my domes.

Step 2: The Side - continued. As mentioned in my previous blog, the base wasn't cut to be over size. This required some modification. The outer dome padding would now sit flush with the base padding, instead of sat on it. This required so stitching, which had to be done by hand.

Doing this helped make the side protection foam, curve into shape with the base. I then stitched the ends of them together. Again, hand stitched....so not the best looking.
dome bag, R5D4, R4D4
joined side protection.

Now, I also said that I hadn't accounted for the top part of the dome, just the vertical height. So I needed to 'add' more material. Thanksfully, there's more than enough left over of the sheet.

Step 3: The Top. So I fitted R5's dome into the bag, and then worked on the top section of material.
dome bag, R5D4, R4D4
top of dome material

Step 4: The Draw String.
Before I stitched this piece onto the side section, I needed to first add the draw string cord.The top of the material had its edge folded over and stitched.
dome bag, R5D4, R4D4 dome bag, R5D4, R4D4
I then threaded the cord through the hole and fitted a toggle on the end. The two string ends were then folded over and stitched together.
dome bag, R5D4, R4D4

Step 5: The Handle(s).
This is one single piece which loops around and under the dome bag. This is what takes the weight of the dome. The webbing is stitch fixed at the top of the side padding and bottom of it. It's then stitched at it's crossover point. The two ends are also stitched together.



And the completed first dome bag, test fitted with both R5 & R4's dome.....
Dome bag, R4D4, R5D4dome bag, r5d4, astromech dome

And the bag, closed, with handles raised.
dome bag, r5d4

Now I have upgraded my dimension and corrected my previous errors with dimensions.
I know where I need to make alterations for dome bag no2.
It will be a lot neater with the stitching lol as I now know where/how best to assemble all the panels. I only need to re-order the foam & buy another bed sheet as I have more than enough strap webbing, draw string and a spare toggle.

I'll also draw/dimension this up so I don't forget lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment