October 15, 2013

Build update - Head, shoulders knees and toes..........scrub the last two and put a Foot No2 in there..... :)

It's been ages since I've had the time to be able to work on R5.

Outer Foot shell No.2 - The Saga continues.......
So decided to get to work on a more portable work piece, so to speak.
I had already marked out the second foot base edge. So decided, as the material was 'protable', to take it into work to cut it out on my lunchtimes.
R5-D4
wood being cut lol
Next was to 'chain drill' the middle piece or use the jigsaw. Time available.

Shoulder Horseshoe No2.
I did make a start on this earlier in the year, but when I started on the second leg, it got kinda left..... Now that R5 is due to make another appearance in a few months, I thought I'd better crack on with it! 
R5-D4 Leg, shoulder, horseshoe
Shoulder horseshoe No2 - WIP
R5-D4 Leg, shoulder, horseshoe
In order to save material, only three of the horseshoe's are whole pieces.
In order to save material, as I was running out, only three of the horseshoes are whole pieces. The front a middle and the rear. You can see these in the pic above. The Spacer horseshoe will also be a whole piece. The internal pieces of the build I have cut out in half sections. The whole unit will be glued and have fixing dowels, as the other horseshoe does.
R5-D4 Leg, shoulder, horseshoe



Next drilling for fixing dowels, and then taking apart to cut out the circle centre.
R5-D4 Leg, shoulder, horseshoe

Once central holes were cut out, edges trimmed and sanded. they were sealed with watered down PVA glue. And then the glueing together of the pieces began.
R5-D4 Leg, shoulder, horseshoe
Glueing begins
Whilst this was drying, I started on the recess parts. They were already marked, just needed drilling and fileing square. Pic below.
R5-D4 Leg, shoulder, horseshoe
Glued up the pieces and started filling with wood filler to swuare off edges.

No comments:

Post a Comment