August 12, 2020

Funko Pop Astromech 3D - Finally....almost finished

 So in my last Funko POP update, I mentioned a few new ideas to print off the parts and the time involved. I will admit that the printing times are something I don't enjoy lol.....especially when it's just development/testing prints.

Funko Astromech V2: head & body [non-bobble]

The works printer has been tied up since I got back into the office, frustrating, but hay, it is there's lol 😃. I did get to print the updated legs, feet and battery boxes, now with less inner's to print, saving on material and time. These only took about 4 hours to print and because they were separate's, I could print them in their best orientations. These came out great, though I would recommend upping the infill lol 😃 (think I had it on 10%). I've updated my Thingiverse page with these new 'hollow' parts.

Funko 3D printed parts
Funko POP astromech legs assembly

Next up was the body/dome print. This print will be for the NON-bobble head version I've been working on, as this will also be an option. I wasn't happy with the length of time it would take for a test print and if it didn't print ok or fail, it was a lot of filament to waste. So I half sectioned the model and printed the front half first. This saved on time/filament as hardly any support material would be needed.

It printed better than I hoped! Some parts on it didn't print 100%, scale was too small for the detail to be printed and these I have slightly modified for next time. The print time for this was over 8 hours, so left it to print overnight.

Half print - R5D4 Funko POP

And here's the first half printed off. You can see the details missing around the centre vents and the utility arms, more to do with the settings I believe.

Front half of Funko Astromech

I set the printer to print the rear half over night....

Rear half set up to be printed

It printed great, though the support did come loose for the antenna, but it still printed, so it actually looks like the original bent version lol.


........More updates to come including another dome...!

No comments:

Post a Comment