January 10, 2020

Electrical system update for 2020

R5’s original electrical system was set up as most are, with the purpose of general use etc. This is fine  but in R5’s case, I have to remove the rear hatch to power him on or off. This has grown to annoy me over the years lol.

So I’ve decided to make life easier by streamlining the electrical layout & re-positioning the switches to a more accessible location.

Below was the electrical board original position.
R5D4 astromech droid

I have already taken out the electrical board that was fitted to the crossbeam and uninstalled the components, Sabertooth speed controller, voltage reducer, distribution power block and switches.

Next up was to test fit the components to the side wall.
R5D4 astromech droid

The two switches are going to be relocated into the skirt recess. As the wood base is 18mm thick, I need to cut out a piece large enough for the main body of the switch to fit inside. And these will then be secured to a new blanking plate. In this case, a piece of Perspex.

I marked a position suitable and chain drilled holes for the opening.
R5D4 astromechR5D4 astromech droidR5D4 astromech droid

The last corner I had to grab a saw blade to trim it square.
R5D4 astromech droid

I made a start on cleaning up the edges. And as I had to finish up, made a template out of cardboard to get an idea of the size required.

Switch mounting plate:
I didn't want a piece of metal so I grabbed an off cut of perspex and using the cardboard template, marked and cut it to size. I then marked hole positions and drilled these too.

Here I test fitted one of the switches with the 'kill switch' cover.
R5D4 astromech droid

Happy to say that the skirt is deep enough not to be able to see the cover when it's in it's open position.

No comments:

Post a Comment