May 13, 2019

12 Channel remote - upgrade.....New replacement Relays

Well the testing of the new 12 channel board didn't go well. A voltage regulator setting may have damaged one of the boards components, but worse, the sound board is now also unresponsive.
'digial' 12 channel remote?

On checking the sound board, by plugging it into a PC, it should appear as a 'folder' like a USB drive would. But although the board lights up, the board does not show up as a folder options.....?


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So back to work on the original 12 channel board.
I had ordered some replacement relays....before I remembered that I had another damaged one. Nevermind, at least I'd know that I would be working with (hopefully) working relays and not damaged ones. As I've said before, I'm not an electronics person, but mechanical, so checking the relays & replacing them to check, is my first part of this process. A co-worker who has got into electronics WAS able to test an old relay v a new one and found the old one to be faulty. So things are looking up for this little upgrade.
replacement relay units
These were 5 for £2.55 off eBay.

Next up was to mark the relays, with a red dot, that didn't respond to the control.
replacement relay units
De-soldering these joints was fun lol. Quickly heating up the pins to be able to leaver them up out of the holes.
replacement relay units
First relay removed. I was going to go and solder in the new relay, but thought it would just be easier to remove all the 'faulty' relays first. Which is what I did.

Once I had cleaned up the holes, it was then re-soldering in the replacement relays.

And then, once all back in.....the test..............FAILED.....

Relays were carfully soldered back in place. But they still wouldn't switch when remote was activated. Checked resistance with a multimeter and they are not latching when power goes through them, but give a reading when power is not.

Looking like I should cut my losses and buy a new 12 channel unit.

No comments:

Post a Comment