August 21, 2018

Mist system for R5-D4 - 1.0

I've always wanted R5 to have a 'mist' extinguisher system, like R2. I'd thought about this years ago on first seeing on on Mark Enright's 'Zoe' R2 astromech.

But there's always something that's distracted me lol. There are lots of different ways people have come up with in order to 'pull a trigger', 'press the nozzle', some technical, others simple. So as I was on Thingiverse, i had a look which has revived my idea for this project.

I found this servo mounted trigger, designed by 'sliptonic'. So I 3D printed it, on my works printer, and then assembled it.


extinguisher triggerextinguisher trigger
Instead of screws I push fitted spirol pins in to hold the trigger arm in place, one on each side. I could of used one long pin, but I couldn't find one at the time.

Next up was fitting the trigger arm in place.
extinguisher triggerextinguisher trigger
I did need to do some trimming so the servo found fit when fitted in the mount, as my servo housing was causing some interference when being bolted down.

Just now waiting on suitable securing bolts and to get hold of a test spray can.

No comments:

Post a Comment