August 08, 2011

R5's Centre Leg, curved part

First I had one idea about how to make these, then worried about the extra weight. Saw an idea for building the curved ankle pieces. This way didn't work out to well for me, obviously I must of done something wrong lol, so have gone back to the solid block idea. [see previous post]
     The weight of the centre leg as it is = 1385 grams
     The curved pieces weigh = grams ( 110kg each ) which compared to the leg weight above.... I don't know      what I was worried about lol.
countersunk securing of curved sections

gap filled with a strip of wood

Filler applied

Using a saw I cut the excess material off and then started to shape with a large course file. As this is my first attempt it's not perfect lol, but with a bit of wood filler, it will look better.
Centre leg work. Spent around 2 1/2hrs this weekend. Counter drilled holes and screwed the first curved pieces onto the centre leg. Had to fill in gap with a strip of wood [2nd picture above]. Then started on with the wood filler. Have a lot to fill as the saw & jigsaw cuts werent that straight. The filler should correct this.
Bought Tesco's own wood filler £1.99 a tube. I'll be using this on the centre leg. I'll also be comparing it against the previous (smaller & more expensive) Ronseal tube. The tube paste was thicker & dryer than the Ronseal and took longer to dry hard!
Then I cut a piece for the other curved section. Drilled, filler etc.
Curve piece no2.

The piece of white board at the bottom, is a guide for how much I have to build up the filler to curve this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment