June 06, 2019

Dome Bag - 2.4 Sewing begins

Back from short break and first free time, I made a start on hemming the edges.

I had already ironed the edges over, as trying to hold the fold and stitch, without using pins, was a nightmare last time!
dome bag, r5d4

Next up was to sew them. Borrowed my daughters sewing machine and got to it. Ironing the edges made a huge difference and was SO much easier!
dome bag, r5d4
I'm still a newbie at this and looking back on this,
I should have allowed extra material to add an
extra fold of material to hide the frayed edges when hemming.

Once the thread was loaded up and the stitching was complete, this took about an hour to complete. I thought.....whilst this is all set up, I could look at the fold for creating the draw string. I hadn't ironed this crease, I suppose I could of done, again making life easier, but I hadn't thought that far ahead at the time of ironing lol.

So I placed the cord and folded over and pinned along the edge as I removed the cord. This bit was a bit tricky to do. Due to the location of the cord, I couldn't leave it inside the folded material as the material wouldn't then fit under the sewing machine's foot.
dome bag, r5d4
This took about half an hour to pin and then stitch & then another half hour trying to find something long enough to feed through the length of the hole lol.
dome bag, r5d4
And the finished folded draw string fitted.

Next:
  • cut material out for the base foam.
  • sew base material & fit the foam inside it.
  • sew main panel up & fit the side foam inside.
  • sew the two pieces together.....might do this before fitting the foam!
  • sew on patch and fit cord lock.

No comments:

Post a Comment