April 15, 2014

R5's transportation platform 1.1

I've decided to make R5 a platform for moving him from car to event. After the difficulty I had at Fleet Air Arm Museum's car park surface last year, it would be easier if the platform took the brunt of the possible rough surfaces. It would also be easier to move/steer.

I salvaged a set of 4 wheels (x2 with swivel casters) from a discarded cabinet. The x2 swivel  wheels bushes were shot so had to bin them, but its a start.

Using a piece of 18mm thick plywood, I measured out a suitable size area for R5 to be mounted to. I cut, drilled and screwed to pieces of wood to act as stops for the outer wheel front casters. I then found some 'U' aluminium channel that the scooter wheels fit in. I cut these, drilled and screwed these down next.
R5-D4 transport platform

I didn't get to mount the fixed casters as I have run out of M8 bolts, these will screw into M8 T-nut's that will be installed. This is a job for Tuesday.

I dont want the platform to be to high off the ground, so after seeing a similar platform, the fixed casters are going to be 'recessed' into it. Measured and marked holes out. Then got to drilling and cutting out with jigsaw. Next I bolted the casters into place.
R5-D4 transport platformR5-D4 transport platform

R5-D4 transport platform

I was going to put casters on the front....no.....rear of the platform, but after thinking about it and the fact with no brakes, R5 could do a runner, I've decided to just put a 'rest' to the back face.
That's next stage.....

Hopefully I'll have it finished by April 26th 2014, Corsham Sci-Fi Fun Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment