December 11, 2018

R0-D4 - update 2018 - 1.0

Been meaning to finish the upgrade I started on the R0 dome, I didn't get round to actually posting up what I'd done.

Back last year 2017, after I had upgraded R5's dome ring to a rockler type one. I started on R0's dome.

R0-D4 dome upgradeR0-D4 dome upgrade
I had to remove the original neck skin as I had attached it to the lower dome rotation ring.

R0-D4 dome upgradeR0-D4 dome upgrade
Unfortunatley I had to physcally break the wood as it was pinned and glued in place.

R0-D4 dome upgrade

I then used the new R5 base ring to reproduce a new one for R0's dome.
R0-D4 dome upgrade

Due to a set back regarding not being able to have a new metal neck made up, I had moved onto building an R4 dome. The neck on this one was drawn up and 3D printed in sections.

I had also decided that the dome looked a bit plain. So decided to add some pin lines lol. In homage to Stuarts awesome R2-S8.
R0-D4 dome paint upgradeR0-D4 dome paint upgrade

R0-D4 dome paint upgrade

R0-D4 dome paint upgrade

Some of the lines have bled a bit, but this is fine as it will add to the weathered/used effect.

.....so roll on into ......& to the end of 2018, lol and I thought I'd better finish up this dome, well, you never know if it might ever be needed.....
R0-D4 dome paint upgrade

So first off is to see if I can refit the original neck strip. The breaks will need some work doing to make good again, but can't see that being a probelm. If this doesn't work, I may have to look at 3D printing up a new neck ring strip.....

No comments:

Post a Comment