March 10, 2012

Centre Foot - Mark 2.3

Centre Leg & Foot Shell, mock-up....looks goooooood!

Got some more work done. I drilled out the slots in the side panel detail and filed then square......ish. I then cut and glued a piece of board behind them. Applied some PVA glue to the edges as this hardens the wood up. Once dried, I applied some wood filler inside the slots as the board had split away from the centre strip.
Next I started on applying wood filler to create the slop on side panel. Once this was drying, I marked the position of the main panel onto the side of the foot shell. Then drilled clearanced, countersunk holes for the screws. I then drilled a smaller hole in the foot shell so as not to split the wood. These screws were also ground down to correct length.
Whilst this was all drying, I started looking at the bolt location and channel section of foot shell.

The Foot shell is not the correct height. This I found out after I had glued up the sides :(.
This is something I can live with and can work around. It's not that must shorter than it should be, but still.
I was looking at using M10 nuts and studding, but now means the hole(s) needed to fit a socket through will put a hole in the wrong place. I've therefor thought of using M10 hexagon socket screws/bolts. These I can source and the hole required will only need to be around the diameter for the bolt head.
I made up a cardboard template and fitted nuts and studding I had into the foot shell. I couldn't resist a mock-up pic above :)

No comments:

Post a Comment