July 23, 2020

Workbench Lockdown 2020 - storage unit

More organising & making.

Was going to start on fitting a sliding shelf for storage under the draw. I can put all my electronics/electrical components in/on it for easy access.

But before I made a start, I instead started on making a wheeled storage unit for under the bottom shelf. I wanted it to hold my drill and drill bit boxes and anything else could be stored in it.
wheels, storage box

I cut the base and fitted casters I already had. The above picture shows the short side opening for the drill and bits boxes.
storage box

The above picture shows the unit almost complete. The wood is not very good, (hence the clamp and PVA gluing layers together), but it was free a few years back and now it’s being put to good use.
I have a ratchet set but wanted it vertical for easy access. So cut up some of the scrap material and made a bracket that the box slides down into.
storage box
Ratchet tool box with handle, had a wood fitted strip to help retain it in place. Can be just seen in above picture.

Next up I added some fold-able shelving. I wanted to be able to utilise the depth of the box, without restricting access to the lower, not used to much, area. Some left over wood, just the right size, some supports and a pair of hinges I've had for ages lol. The two pictures below, show before & after with shelf in use
shelf shelf

And a quick video showing it in action lol.
shelf
I had bought some LED lights to help see under the bench and illuminate the shelves as the ceiling lights cast shadows.
Under bench lighting
These are really bright and will come in handy.

Lastly, for now, I wanted somewhere to have my soldering irons in reach. So made up a holder that slides over the edge, the cables just go into the box.
.......pic
soldering iron holder

I've still got plans for more upgrades...

No comments:

Post a Comment