July 14, 2020

Workbench Lockdown 2020 - Bench drawer & shelf

One thing I really needed was a large drawer for my tools and also to have easy access to the ones used regularly.
workbench drawer
completed workbench drawer....wood filler waiting to be sanded
I wanted a way to store them but not create a problem, either getting to them or just finding them. Watched loads of YouTube videos, and got a few ideas. Next up....making it.

LOL, now I usually draw up plans.....but not this time. I already had some not really usable (probably grade 'D') plywood sheets, that I knew I wouldn't use, but didn't want to get rid off, just in case. And this was their time to shine lol.

Measured up the area, and marked all the pieces for the drawer onto one sheet.
Not having a circular saw, only a jigsaw, I used a straight piece of metal clamped in place as a guide and got cutting.

The sides, front, rear where screwed into the base and probably should of looked at sorting the poor quality wood out with wood filler and glue.....but more on that later.

The drawer runners I wanted and for once, where bought at local ScrewFix store [pay online, click and collect, due to COVID-19]. These were ball bearing runners, 450mm for £6!! They can take a load up to 45kg!

Next, I found some large pieces of 2"x4", thought would do for support. These were screwed to the underside of the bench's worktops and the drawer runners added. After watching one video in particular, I learned that the 'tabs' on the sides of the runners allow for the whole unit to 'align' itself if the gap at the sides is to large. Never knew this!

I was going to get all creative and fancy with making up a drawer handle out of dowel, but found this old handle what came from my parents old 'under the stairs' cupboard and thought, YES, that's a nice touch and a reminder to my past. It's also has a low profile and is not ever going to get something caught on it!

Inside the main drawer I wanted some way of having smaller tools that I use readily to hand without rummaging. So I remembered that I had a pair of small draw runners that I had bought years ago as part of R5's bad motivator pop up idea. These were perfect and after measuring and cutting out some more wood, I created this small shelf/tray for inside the main drawer. I was going to place it centrally, but then decided that the rear for it to be pulled forward would be better. This then allows full access to the main lower area, but also when the tray is pulled forward, you can see the rear area for all those things that usually get pushed to the back of a draw and forgotten lol.

I cleared out more junk again, re-organised stuff and added a shelf so things weren't just piled up on top of other boxes etc.
shelf, shelf idea
Looks fancy, and it is a bit, but I know how annoying having 'support legs' in the way can be lol.

Went looking in the back of garage for paint tins colour choices....but nothing really suitable, so will have to get something I actually like.

And here's the bench progress so far.
workbench
......before I cleared everything away lol.

I added a thin scrap piece of wood centrally on the lower shelf to stop things getting pushed under the draw itself and possible getting wedged. I'm planning on possible adding a second slide tray/drawer mounted there.....for what, I don't know yet. The three containers stacked on the floor (purple) fit just right under the new shelf.

As per usual, I've already started drawing up and sourcing mini LED lights to mount under the shelves etc. These will come next or before painting of the drawer/new shelf wood.

This was my weekend....which was delayed starting due to having to sort out the dishwasher that kept tripping the electrics.

More workbench build work updates coming soon.....

No comments:

Post a Comment