November 24, 2023

R5-D4 Funko Pop inspired 3D model

Each week I usually focus on just one particular project.

Recently though, I’ve been working on a few.
  • LED’s light strip, see workbench upgrade post, coming soon……
  • A ‘vintage car’ glovebox 3D printable, stronger version than the original cardboard one
  • And something that I’ve wanted to do since the ‘original’ 3 legged R2-D2 concept Funko Pop came out….. Model R5 as a 3 legged version.

Funko beat me to it with their twin set of R5 & R2 at Celebration Europe earlier this year 2023.

My Pop is stored away, so this version is a modified version of my own R5 that I modelled years ago, for all the R5’s variants Funko haven’t produced, with its own unique angled stance and new 3rd centre leg, with single ankle cylinder, just as the 1977 R5 should be. This is now available for download in my Etsy shop.

The body to leg (shoulder) mounting location was modified to a suitable angle. The leg ends also had to be modified to accept the outer feet. Finally, the centre legs ankle and cylinder had to be modified.
Specifically for individual part printing.

But my first test print was a fully assembled model version, see above Cura printing image.
First test printed really well, though I have made some adjustments to the rear panel gaps, corrected a few other little things.

Next idea was to produce a detail drawing showing the views of the 3D model. I was thinking about uploading these to my Etsy page as an additional downloadable purchase…..

May even do a special offer for the first 5 downloads of the 3D file(s) that the print is  included 👍🏽.

I still haven’t done an R2 style dome yet, but it’s  on my to do list.
I do have the R4 dome as well as the R5 special style dome of R5-PHT from Solo a Star Wars story.

So I’ll make versions of these too......


👉👉👉👉Link to my Etsy Shop

2 comments:

  1. R5 Funko and Tech drawing are now available via my shop, see above for link

    ReplyDelete
  2. The store will be closing the end of March 2024

    ReplyDelete