September 18, 2022

Wedding Ring Utility unit...... (box)

I thought it would be a cool idea to have a box that would open up via remote control, via the transmitter. A nano servo was to be installed that could then be plugged in, to switch from utility arm activation, to opening the lid.

Started working on this idea, [the offset of the inner box, was space for the lid opening arm], but then Mike reminded me he doesn’t have utility arm activation…..so I shelved this idea and carried on with #3dprinting the parts.

Three boxes later (slight variations), I had what I needed……I then added some rings to the front…..and a lid tab to manually open the lid.

I sanded and then applied filler primer, more sanding and repeat. I bought some A4 size sheets of felt and some larger sheets of thin mat, and a spray can of white paint, and a gold coloured pen.

Once the box and lid were painted and had dried. I lined the box with the felt, blue, and also applied some to the inside of the lid. Original idea was just this, but then I thought about a ‘cushion’ for the rings to sit on.

Next I cut and shaped the thin mat to be the ring bed. I then added two locations for the rings to sit on, to help keep them secure.
I added some of the felt to the curved rear of the box where it would be in contact with the droid, to protect its paint work.

Finally I used the gold pen to paint the boxes front design.

Internal lined with felt material and a foam cushion

Rear felt patch to protect the Astromech's paint finish

As most requests are for an R2-D2 unit, I choose blue as the main colour. I did get some red, if ever anyone wanted R5 to do the honours.

No comments:

Post a Comment