July 02, 2020

Thingiverse - R5-D4 Astromech [Funko] ....the start


I started drawing this idea up back in January/February, but then got side tracked. I already owned the Funko Pop R5-D4, but was disappointed that they didn't release any more or even ones from the other Star Wars films. Rogue One, Solo or The Rise of Skywalker! So I decided that if you want something no one else has made, you just have to make it yourself lol.

Using my original for it's dimensions, I started to create a 3D version.
astromech, funko, droid

I started with a foot. This was fairly simple......not! But I got there in the end. I introduced a socket in the top, to allow the leg to push fit in and be glued securely. The handy thing about this that the feet are reversible, only requiring the hoses to be fitted and glued on.

The battery boxes are also reversible. These are just glued into place.

Next up was the legs. These have taken a bit longer to produce as the positioning of certain pieces to create the effect, had to be done in different orientations. Not easy when your CAD program is a Tech one not a creative one lol. Stop moaning and continue....

astromech, leg, Funko

And this is what they look like when assembled.

I've just finished the leg updates and have now posted these up on my Thingiverse page. If I get round to drawing up the body and head, I will add them to my page. My first one will be an R5 dome. And then possibly an R2 & R4 domes. If you have or are creating the body or domes for these other droid types, drop a comment below or via my Thingiverse page.
It would be great to combine forces!

The legs, feet & battery boxes can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment