May 10, 2016

'R0' dome build - 1.8 'Skin - recessed boxes'

27th April
I checked the off-set needed so that the recessed boxes, wouldn't interfere with the internal verticals. Once happy, I marked the first box.
R0-L0 dome


Cut out the first hole for the recessed boxes (3 off).
R0-L0 dome

Then I measured and marked up the strips that will be the skin recess/step. I roughed up the smooth surface a bit with sandpaper first before I applied wood glue and whilst letting it to set a bit, I grabbed some scrap wood and my G-clamps and glued them in place, one at a time.
R0-L0 dome

R0-L0 dome

R0-L0 dome
Next (pic below) on with the second side.
R0-L0 dome

For the upper and lower pieces, I cut vertical slots in the back face, to help them bend a bit to the dome curve.

Then roughed them up with sandpaper before glue and clamping into place.
R0-L0 dome

These have held really well (I sound surprised, lol) The opening is a lot stronger and once the rear recessed boxes are in, will be super strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment