December 13, 2023

JUMBO Funko R5 - Part 1

 A week ago I had to drop my daughter off at a dance lesson, with an hour to kill I had a walk around the local shops. Mostly charity ones, these always have hidden items lol. To my amazement there was a FULL roll of filament for £5 UK pounds!

Then during the week, a chat with Mike about upcoming events and future build projects, I had the idea for this next print.

So i opened up Cura and swapped the printer view from the S5 to my Tevo print bed. I placed my 3 leg Funko R5 on it and played with the scaling. I was able to bump it up to 250% and it would just fit. Print time was about a day…..but I knew that wouldn’t be the case lol.

Thursday evening I set the printer going. But the filament wasn’t happy?? After a few starts, and even checking the bed height, I gave it a rest for the night.
Friday morning, before leaving for work, I had another go. This time I noticed that this filament required a higher temperature 😳😳😳 so after adjusting, things looked promising.

Here’s the progress over the few days:


Everything was going smoothly.

Woke up Sunday morning and found this…..

The printer was still going but printing in thin air 😩. The filament had tangled!

Nothing I can do about it till Monday when back in work. I’ll then have to slice the file to be able to print the rest of it.

Monday:
Decided to play around with the files, modified them to reduce excess material and filled in gaps that weren’t really visible on a 1:1 scale lol.

I then made a modified version, I removed the dome, and made it a push on fit (that can be glued on). This also will make the rest of the body print quicker and with less support material required.

All these updates will go into the other droid designs.

So now I have two separate files to print over the week/weekend.

This will be in the second part of this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment