June 12, 2020

Workbench lockdown 2020 organised

Been meaning to sort things out in my garage for years....... well, not much I can do about most of it 😄 but with a bit of re-organising I was able to move one of the domes (R0) off the new shelf and onto an older shelf unit, that now had some space.

So now the R5 is off the bench & with R4 domes.

Next up was getting rid of stuff that I REALLY didn't need. I do keep stuff,with the intention of it possibly coming in handy in the future. Well....if it's not been used by now.... out it went. I went through boxes and sorted out and grouped/organised better all those little bits and pieces.

Clean and clear work bench
Clean and clear work bench

The above picture is what the bench looked like flippin years ago when it first got installed. A few little touches to help keep things to hand. The tapes were fitted onto a scrap piece of tube. I made a paper towel holder, mounted about the tapes. Three boxes were secured to the wall back board, which helps store smaller tools etc. [one can be seen top right of picture.

Next up was to make a little removable shelf. This holds two boxes with small components, electrical/electronics, recent small project work.
I didn't want the shelf to be fixed in case I needed the space. So I made it fit over the benches back board and has a support baton underneath.
small shelf


small shelf
small shelf

This word great...... and I started getting carried away with making stuff again. hahaha. I needed a soldering iron station, that I could move around, so after a bit of searching for material under the bench, I made this up...
soldering iron station
soldering iron station
 
The solder sucker needed a holder, just so I knew where it was when I need it. The paste tin has raised holder edges to stop it moving forward. Next will be either magnets to lock the base to the bench or the upper back board or location pins.....not sure yet.

The real reason for being able to do any of this was that I had to fit an outside security light. This meant having to fit new electrical cable. So ordered what I needed from Screwfix and got on with the installation. The plus side to this was I was able to add a plug socket nearer the front of the garage.....for use by my workbench. For the last I don't know how many years I've had an extension reel looped over and pinned to the wall to allow power to the bench. Now it will finally be fully independent.

So I just have to finish the electrics and I can start using the bench, much to the relief of the wife as it get's me back out of the front room hahahaha.

No comments:

Post a Comment