June 24, 2020

Workbench lockdown 2020 - Bench seat

Now that my workbench is.....well, was.....clear and able to be used, I got out my usual stool and realised that when sitting, I was literally as eye level with it!

As there's limited space in my garage, I started looking for small, tall, compact stools. A few popped up but some of the prices were ridicules.

So I looked on You Tube for DIY ideas and found some good ones. But I really liked the idea of a swivel bench one. What could I use tho that I had available in the garage.....

Some old broken, kids scooters. Well, one of them was steel version now Aluminium, so I went with that one.


modified scooter - steel version

After removing the wheel from the forks and stripping everything down to check it over. I opened out and bent the forks flat. I then filed down a M12 or M15 nut  (I can't remember now) and push fitted it into the top of the cut down steel scooter tube.
(It is now the correct height to fit between the upper and lower bench shelves)

Next up was location. I drilled down through the bench and the metal angle of the frame. This was so some of the studding could be threaded down through the bench into the captive nut in the frame.

The angle of the scooter was too steep, so I used a piece of angle steel, to form the extension arm seen in the next picture. This was held in place with two of the scooters bolts and spacers.


modified scooter - steel version
The bent flat forks had holes drilled under them into the bench and bolts fed through them.

I wanted to re-use the original stool seat, but how to fit it all together.
I started by cutting out a piece of square wood, this was for the seat brackets to fit to and then the wood would be connected to the angle steel arm.
seat, bench seat
The hole in the seat was for access to the pivot bolt. The pivot bolt uses the scooter wheel bearings to help swivel and space the seat up a bit.

Yes it takes my weight.
Yes it pivots out of the way.
swivel seat, bench seat

I might have to modify the actual seat in the future.
swivel seat, bench seat
Hope the above video clip works.....

No comments:

Post a Comment