June 07, 2024

Shoulder hubs - Aluminium - Paul’s R2 No2

Paul is building a second R2 and had a semi finished pair of shoulder hubs. They were correct O/D, thickness and had four holes in, but were heavy, about 1.5kg!!

His friend wasn’t able to do more than this as his company was closing down. I offered to do my best bit of milling at my work.

First hub, was a very time consuming process. One which if I had thought about first, as I did on the second hub, I should of turned out the inner diameter to the required larger diameter, on the lathe, THEN got to work on the millers rotary table!


Above picture, show how much material had to be removed. Using a manual milling machine, means you having to do everything by hand lol.

Thankfully using the lathe sped up the process for the second hub.

Final weight of each was 1KG.

No comments:

Post a Comment