February 08, 2019

Han Solo’s lucky Sabacc dice - part 1 of 2

My youngster said it would be cool to have a set of dice like the ones in the ‘Solo’ film. I showed her them on eBay but also that they were also to be found on Thingiverse, that we could 3D print.

Bit late to the party, but as a little side project, thought I make us a set each. I found and downloaded the .stl files. There are a few versions available. I chose a set that will require you to drill your own hole. Credit for this design goes to Zapwizard
Solo a star wars story - lucky sabacc dice

I printed off enough for two sets, one for me to lol. Then got searching on eBay for chain availability, similar to the one suggested in a thread on the RPF (again, credit goes to zapwizard). The print quality on my machine (resolution was 0.2) isn't the best but nothing a bit of sanding wouldn't solve. Once happy with the smooth'ish finish, I drilled a small hole through on the corner of each die.

Next was to dig out my box of spray cans lol. First coat was primer/filler spray.
Solo a star wars story - lucky sabacc dice
This stuff helps fill in the gaps left after sanding. Once dried and sanded lightly, I then applyed a coat of matt black.
Solo a star wars story - lucky sabacc dice
After this coat had dried, I sprayed them all with Plastikote brass.....not gold. There are two reason's for this, 1) it was what I had on the shelf lol & 2) this colour, like the issue I had with 'silver', aren't the actual colours that comes out of the can. I was going for a worn/used look so the brass colour is better suited as it's not so shiney & bright.

I wasn't sure which order to do the next part, but decided on weathering the dice first before clear coating them.
Here's one die, weathered and before clear coating.


Photos posted up also on my Instagram 'james_r5d4' account.

So next up is to weather the other three pieces and then clear coat them.


......................part 2 next week once the chain arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment